If you lose a pet:

Not being able to locate a beloved cat or dog can be a traumatic experience. Here's a checklist of suggestions that may help you find your companion more quickly should it become lost.

Unfortunately, we don't have a local Humane Society. There are several other organizations you should contact when searching for a lost pet, or if you've found one.

  • Contact your local veterinary clinics.
    • People often bring lost or injured animals to their veterinarian for help.
    • Be sure to contact all the clinics in the area, not just your own.

      • Chewelah Veterinary Clinic: 935-6424
      • Colville Animal Hospital: 684-2102
      • Deer Park Animal Medical Center: 276-6016
      • Deer Park Veterinary Clinic: 276-5091
      • Echo Ridge Veterinary Hospital: 684-8978
      • Hometown Animal Hospital: 276-8387

  • Tell your neighbors about your missing pet.
  • Post signs where legal.
    • Photocopying a clear photo of the animal onto a "missing" poster helps attract attention and make it easier for the animal to be identified.
    • Feed stores, pet stores, groceries, and post offices often have bulletin boards for posting such fliers.
  • Check your property and neighborhood for places where a pet could be accidentally locked up.
    • Tool sheds
    • Garages
    • Crawlspaces
    • etc.
  • Run an ad in the local newspapers.

    • Chewelah Independent: 935-8422
    • Colville Statesman-Examiner: 684-4567
    • Deer Park Tribune: 276-5043
    • Most papers will run free lost and found ads for your pets.

  • Call the appropriate Animal Control/Police department.

    • In Chewelah, the City Police Department picks up dogs for impound.
      • Chewelah Police Department 935-6555
    • Colville has Animal Control inside city limits.
      • Colville Animal Control 684-3131
    • Outside of city limits, contact the Stevens County Sheriff.
      • Stevens County Sheriff 684-5296
      • After Hours/Weekend Dispatch 684-2555
    • All of these organizations will keep a lost or found notice even if they do not have your pet.

  • If you are a Facebook user, consider sending a message and picture to Chewelah Area Lost Pets on Facebook.

Preventing a loss:

The best way to deal with a missing pet is to prevent the tragedy from happening. Here are several preventative measures you might want to consider.

  • Keep your pet contained.
    • In your house
    • In a run
    • On a leash
    • In a securely fenced yard
    • A free-roaming animal is far more likely to be lost, injured, or even killed.
  • License your pet.
    • Ensure that your pet is licensed where appropriate.
      • Licenses are required by law inside city limits of Chewelah and Colville.
    • Be sure the information on your pet's tag is:
      • Accurate
      • Current
      • Securely fastened to a sturdy collar
  • Permanently identify your pet.
    • Microchipping
      • Talk to your veterinarian about permanent methods of pet identification. Today, the most reliable method of permanent identification is microchip implantation. Microchips are about the size of a grain of rice. They are placed under the loose skin of the shoulders with a hypodermic needle. Each chip is coded with a number and associated in a central database with your pet and contact information, accessible 24 hours a day. When a hand held scanner is placed near the chip, it reflects back this number via a radio signal that is read by the scanner. You can then be contacted and reunited with your animal. Best of all, microchips are safe, inexpensive, last forever, and cannot be lost if the animal slips their collar.
      • For more information on microchips, please see our microchip information page.
    • Tattooing
      • Tattoos are another way of permanently identifying your pet, but are not typically associated with a central database. As with microchips, tattoos cannot be lost by a pet that removes collars and tags.

Oh, by the way:

Occasionally, rumors are told about animals being stolen and sold to a research laboratory. The likelihood of this happening is very, very remote. One reason is because relatively few cats and dogs are used in biomedical research at all. In fact, more than 90 percent of all research animals are rodents. Of those few dogs and cats used in research, more than 50 percent are specifically bred for research purposes. The other 50 percent must, by law, come from federally-licensed dealers and other controlled sources. These dealers are under the jurisdiction of the United States Department of Agriculture and must adhere to Animal Welfare Act standards of care. Both registered dealers and research facilities can only obtain dogs and cats from specific sources and must comply with detailed record-keeping and waiting period requirements.

Washington has an additional legal safeguard, the Washington State Pet Protection Law. This law requires that any research facility using dogs and cats keep a comprehensive record of the animals it acquires, including a photo and detailed description of each animal, and that these be available for inspection by the public. Anyone wanting to inquire about a missing animal may call a research institution and ask to see the institution's animal files.

The research institutions of Washington state supported the passage of the Pet Protection Law. Many research scientists are pet owners themselves, and they absolutely do not want anyone's beloved pet in their laboratories.

Kitty on a fence post

For general questions, or to sign up for email reminders for your pet's vaccinations, please feel free to contact us at inquiries@chewelahveterinaryclinic.com.